London Baby!

Here's how Saturday night went for me: 12:30 - Fell asleep 1:35 - Woke up 1:40 - Fell asleep 2:30 - Woke up 3:30 - Alarm went off, got out of bed and started getting ready to go to the airport.

With all of that sleep - Megan and Cruz were able to get that extra hour of sleep - we left the hostel at 7:50 and headed west to O'Connell Street. Halfway there we heard someone with a wheeled suitcase behind us in an all out sprint. Finally she reached us, stopped, and blurted out, "Are you going to the airport?!" in poor English. We were, so we said yes and soon we had a random Polish lady walking with us. She had apparently been running around that area for an hour trying to figure out how to get to the airport. She wasn't very talkative but we did get this gem:

I have been here many times before but always with friends. They said, 'Let us out together the information for you do you know how to get everywhere,' but I told them, 'No, I can do it on my own.'

Anyway, we caught our bus and were on our way to the airport. The bus was earlier than expected which we had luckily anticipated might be the case. Once at the airport we checked in and went through security. We had breakfast at a cafe in the airport. Cruz and I were more than able to handle the airport experience but Megan was conned into buying some toast, which is amusing because she had received less toast than me or Cruz everywhere else we had eaten.

Eventually it was time to part ways with Cruz, so we wished her a good study aboard experience and headed to our gate. The Ryanair plane was actually pretty big and was mostly full. I had a window seat which I quickly used to fall asleep. I some up during the descent to London. We caught a train into London and around ten in the morning we found ourselves in the middle of London exhausted, with nothing to do.

So we went to Buckingham Palace to try and get Megan a prince. We were unsuccessful in that regard but did manage to see the changing of the guard. The crowd for this was enormous and at first we thought there might be something special going on, but there wasn't.

After that we walked around the nearby park and then sat in the sun for about half an hour or so. Finally we decided to go find our hotel. We took the Underground to the Earl's Court station and checked in. The room is very nice, though the wifi is pretty awful - Thus, the very late updates. The room is pretty big considering it's a London hotel. The bathroom is very small but it's very clean. The whole place looks newly renovated.

After getting settled we made a list of what we'd like to do in London, and then took a nap.

After our nap we headed to Chinatown for dinner. After getting to the right part of town we got a bit turned around - I'm used to approaching Chinatown from the other side of the city - and ended up in T Square. Check one thing off the list!

Eventually we made it to Chinatown and found the restraint I ate at a couple years ago. We both tried food outside of our comfort zone, especially Megan. It wasn't too spicy - there was no recreation of last time's spicy debacle for me - but it was definitely spicier than the Chinese food back home. Megan conquered chopsticks over the course of the meal and no doubt will be giving everyone lessons on their proper usage upon her return home.

Okay, I can't lie to you like that. About ten minutes into her main course the waitress, having observed us from afar, came up and offered Megan a fork. And that Megan mastered!

After dinner we walked down to the river to see Big Ben and the London Eye. We took some pictures and watched someone hail a cab - a trip highlight, it seemed, for Megan. Eventually we made our way back to the hotel and fell asleep.